Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Practice a Random Act of Kindness

Midtown NYC pizza place late one September evening:

Random stranger enters the joint at the same time I do, but rushes in front of me.  I, being cranky from hunger and yet another 12 hour workday, roll my eyes as I watch him "cut me" and approach the counter.

Random stranger:  "I'd like a slice for me and a slice for her" (pointing at me)

Me:  "No, I'd like one of the cheeseless ones over there" (pointing to the cheeseless pie)

Slices go into the oven around the same time.  Random stranger and I have a short but nice conversation about the pizza in Boston and how it's pretty good too.  

Slices come out of the oven at the same time.  

Random stranger to cashier:  "I'm paying for hers too" (pointing to me and taking out his wallet)

Me:  "What?  Wait, no that's okay." (taking out my wallet)

Random stranger:  "No, really.  I insist."

Me:  "What?  Wow!  This has never happened to me!!  That is SOOOO kind of you.  Well at least let me get your picture for my blog."

Random stranger (while laughing and literally running down the block with pizza in hand):  "No way, no picture!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment