Saturday, February 20, 2010

Give Someone a Birthday Surprise

Today is my grandmother's birthday. She'll never say how old she is, but I can tell you she's in the 85-89 age demographic.
When I graduated from college almost 20 years ago and got a job at a well-known ad agency as an Assistant Account Executive making $25,000 a year, she couldn't have been prouder. "Someday" she said, "you'll come pick me up in a stretch limousine to take me out to dinner."

Don't get me wrong, I am repulsed by limos, but for my Nonna, a raised poor immigrant, this has been her dream for the past 60 years and it was about time I made it happen.

Limo picked us up at her place and she was surprised at seeing each of us one by one (we all casually mentioned earlier in the week we had other plans this weekend). First me with my parents, then my brother & his wife, then at the restaurant, my sister and her family, each of us wishing her a happy birthday and handing her one red carnation (her favorite flower) as we saw her.

When we kissed and hugged good-bye after a delicious dinner at Shun Lee Palace, Nonna said it was the best birthday she ever had. And that says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment